Definition of Eco-Journalism
Eco journalism can simply be desciribed as the investigation, collection, reporting, and producing of issues relating to health, security, technology, traffic, weather in an environmental angle through the print or broadcast media and any other forms of social media tools and disseminating it to a large diversifid audience.
The Roles of eco journalism in addressing urgent issues in Nigeria and around the world mainly is to let people know the burning issues that were happening in each states, countries of the world and to also prioritize specific environmental issues.
My experience on eco journalism will be utilized after the workshop, to analyse and present information on nature and environmental issues to my audience, that is decidedly opinionated and encourages the audience to adopt more environmentally sensitive attitudes, like in my broadcasting station, i have reported a story on the compliance of motorists to the new traffic lights being put in place across some strategic places in the state caiptal by the state government, i interviewed the Head of the state traffic section using the forum to sensitized the people on the usage of the rules guiding the traffic lights.
Five concrete steps to take as a journalist
1. I would like to share the knowledge gained at this workshop with my colleagues at the newsroom on how to be an effective eco journalist ading that its an initiative towards the sustainance of the nations socio-economic development.
2. Introducing them to on usage of some social media tools like twitter, facebook etc
3. After this workshop, i would like to convince my media officials on the usefulness of internet in getting hot stories and also sending to others via it.
4. Setting up of a blog on the internet for my station to disseminate relevant news information to the masses.
5. And lastly, i will tell them the need for everyone to be computer literates in order to match with the global trend of digital broadcasting.
Quotes form Journalists
(i) According to Mr Adeyinka Amosu Amaka from the Radio Nigeria, Network News, Abuja, "As a leader pool of reporters, I hope to drive my colleagues towards focusing on environmental issues through exciting news and programmes on Africa's lagest Rdaio network.
(ii) Also, Mr Andrew Quaye from the debeatafrica promised that he would try to improve his news coverage in making sure he uses the exact pictures of the story pubilshed by him online and possibly the adding its film, which he expressed belief that it would give believability to his report.
(iii) For Mr Emmanuel of the Voice Of Nigeria (VON), "As a Producer. I hope work more on environmental disasters in Nigeria in order to ceate awarenes on the need to stop environmental degradation".
Cue in:Environmental degradation
(iv) Mr Michael Ilesanmi said "I would need to be more active in the usage of social media tools that i used in order to develop more communication interaction with people".
(iv) "Eco journalism is knowing what a good environment is"...Ibraheem Hamza NAGARTA Radio, Kaduna
Cue in: my eco journalism
Cue out: sign off
(v) "Eco journalism is a brilliant experience of advocacy by concerned reporters and environment, to bring to the spotlight iisues of nature. It also connect environment beyond borders".-Olawale Hameat, NTA, Educational Tv, Lagos
Cue in:Our lands depend